Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hi John! Have you heard of Moss Milkshake?

Q. Hi, John! Have you heard of Moss Milkshake? www.mossmilkshake.com. I've also read that you can make up your own mixture if you can get some moss. Do you think it would establish itself in a shaded spot with lots of an invasive violet? (The violets took over and actually work nicely under a tree, but leave a big bare area during the winter.)

A. Dear Lou, it's always good to hear from you. I confess that I often rebelled against ingesting my father's homeopathic remedies. I like real milkshakes derived from cow teats, cacao (pronounced "ca-COW"), vanilla from orchids, etc. My wife and daughter, however, prefer mixes resembling my dad's. I can't shake any of them. Whether their's contain mosses, I don't know, but I shouldn't wonder. 

My aunt, Ann R. Davis, however, taught me to appreciate nice things like violets and mosses growing together. Whether the mosses and/or violets seem invasive depends on your state of mind. Drench the violets with those moss-shakes, let them work together and enjoy whatever happens.

Return to GoGardenNow.com.

No comments: