Thursday, January 2, 2014

My forced paperwhite narcissus are getting too tall and flopping over. What can I do to keep them looking nice?


Q. My forced paperwhite narcissus are getting too tall and flopping over. What can I do to keep them looking nice?

A. You must be growing them in a bowl. I suggest you form a wire coat hanger into a support structure: a vertical rod with a circular loop at the top. Bend the loop so it is perpendicular (horizontal) to the rod. Spray paint it green. When paint is dry, stick foliage through the loop, press the rod into the soil. But that's not the best solution.

Next year, plant the bulbs in a bowl that will allow a 12 inch tall clear glass cylinder or pillar hurricane lamp chimney to enclose it. The glass pillar will allow light to reach the foliage, allow you to observe the growing plants, and keep the foliage and flowers upright.

Return to GoGardenNow.com.

No comments: