Thursday, August 1, 2013

I have another question about my shrimp plants.

I asked you about my shrimp plants. Now my red shrimp plants are huge, but they don't have many flowers. The  plants are so big they are falling apart. Why don't I have  a lot of flowers yet?

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't have a precise answer, but here's something for you to think about. Flowering is a reproductive response. I've noticed that species experiencing stress or relief tend to reproduce more frequently. If stressed, reproduction is a survival response, e.g. "When will I ever see you again?", "Where have you been all my life?", "Marry me now!") If relieved, reproduction is a happy response, e.g. "Home, sweet home!", "Where have you been all my life?", "Marry me now!") Happiness seems to make the difference.

However, your shrimp plants seem to be exulting, which means they've passed the survival and relief stages, and have reached some state of satisfaction so they don't care enough to flower and reproduce.

This time of year (1 August), prune your red shrimp plants a little bit, if you must, to reduce their height. Otherwise, leave them alone until next  spring.

No comments: