Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Will Ficus pumila - Creeping Fig - grow down a wall in zone 7-b?

Ficus pumila in 3-1/2 inch pots

Q.  I bought 2 pots of Creeping fig--Ficus pumila to plant at my retaining wall which is 4 ft. high by 52 ft. My question is will it grow DOWN from top of wall to spill over, or is it better to plant them at ground level to grow up?  It gets morning  sun and part shade from 2:30 on. I live near Atlanta, GA in Kennesaw, GA zone 7-b.

A. It's better to plant them at ground level. If you want the ficus to cover the 52' retaining wall within a reasonable amount of time, you'll need more than 2 pots.

I see you live in USDA climate zone 7b. Ficus is reliably cold hardy to zone 8. It's likely that your ficus will be frozen unless you provide adequate winter protection. I've seen it growing in zone 7, but with winter protection.

Return to Ficus at GoGardenNow.com.

No comments: