Monday, April 30, 2012

Results of Community Poll Ending 30 April.

Our community poll at goGardenNow.com, ending 30 April, 2012, asked the question: Are you concerned about the future of the U.S. and its economy to the point that you plan to ensure or supplement your food supply by planting or enlarging your own fruit and/or vegetable garden?

18% of respondents answered, I'm not that concerned.
9% of respondents answered, I'm concerned, but don't have a place to garden.
No one answered, I'm concerned, but don't have a place to garden, so I've become involved in a community garden.
50% of respondents answered, I'm concerned, so I plan to enlarge my home garden.
9% of respondents answered, I'm concerned, but my garden is large enough for now.
14% answered, Actually, I haven't thought about that until now.

(You'll see different results and far fewer respondents to the same poll we conducted at twiigs.com, results posted below.)

Beside being personally satisfying to grow, fruit and vegetable gardens can supplement our diets with healthy foods. They may help our household economies, too.

I'm surprised by the number who are planning to enlarge their home gardens. I wasn't conducting community polls during the Carter Administration, so I don't know if so many respondents would have planned to enlarge their gardens then. I do remember, though, seeing some front lawns (even in large cities) converted to vegetable gardens, and squash vines draping over boxwoods.

I am surprised that no respondents said they've become involved in community gardens. Regardless of the economy, community gardens are wonderful places to grow your own while socializing, learning and sharing with friends. The American Community Garden Association is an excellent resource for those who are interested.

My blog, Backyard Fruit Guide, also provides useful information for home gardeners.

Whatever your opinion about the economic prospects, do get outdoors and goGardenNow!

1 comment:

NellJean said...

I recently saw a community garden in a tiny town near here where such is seldom seen.

Our rural neighbors and I exchange plants and vegetables. Sometimes I trade a plethora of peas from one neighbor for fruit or a different veggie from another. All of us tend to overplant.